Barcelona have reportedly replaced Ernesto Valverde with former Real Betis manager Quique Setién on Monday.
The Catalan giants said it reached an agreement with Valverde, 55, to terminate his contract.
The club called Setién, a 61-year-old Spaniard, who will be officially introduced on Tuesday at Camp Nou Stadium, “one of the most experienced coaches in Spanish football.” He was contracted to June 2022.
Since 2003, this will be the first time that Barcelona has made a change in the middle of the season.
Many rumours initially linked former Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernández with the club’s coaching job.
There were doubts related to Pochettino’s name after he said some time ago he would never coach the Catalan club.
Setién had been with Betis since 2017 until deciding to take some time off at the end of last season.
He previously coached smaller Spanish clubs such as Racing Santander, Las Palmas and Lugo.
Setién didn’t win notable titles as a coach but was the last one to beat Barca at Camp Nou Stadium in 2018, a 4-3 win by Betis in the Spanish league.
Barcelona’s next game comes up on Sunday at home against Granada in the Spanish league.