Chelsea take on Liverpool this weekend in the Premier League in a crunch game – but who will start for the Blues at Anfield?
Maurizio Sarri’s Blues side are playing against one of the best teams in the Premier League and based upon how this season has gone so far, they will have to go into the game as pre-match underdogs.
Today’s fixture is also reminiscent of the memorable 2013/14 clash that saw the Blues all but end Liverpool’s title hopes, with Steven Gerrard’s infamous slip allowing Demba Ba to open the scoring before Willian sealed the victory late on.
The Europa League may be an easier path for the Blues to get into next season’s Champions League than securing a top-four finish.
CHELSEA LINE UP TO FACE LIVERPOOL: PRE MATCH INSIGHTS
- Liverpool haven’t won any of their last six Premier League games at Anfield against Chelsea (D4 L2); the Reds have never endured a longer winless home run against an opponent in the competition.
- Chelsea have only lost twice in their last 16 meetings with Liverpool in all competitions (W6 D8), though both of those defeats came at Stamford Bridge. The Blues’ last defeat at Anfield came back in May 2012 in the Premier League (1-4).
- Chelsea have already won away at Liverpool this season, beating them 2-1 in the EFL Cup. They’ve never won twice at Anfield within the same season, with Arsenal in 2006-07 the last side to do so against Liverpool.
- Liverpool are unbeaten in their last 37 Premier League games at Anfield – only once in their top-flight history have they had a longer unbeaten home run (63 between Feb 1978-Dec 1980).
- Chelsea have lost their last five Premier League away games against fellow ‘big six’ opponents, including all three this season by an aggregate score of 1-11. However, the Blues have won three of their last four away league games against sides starting the day top, including a 2-0 victory at Anfield in April 2014.
SEE ALSO: Best Footballer In The World – Here Are 2019's Top Ten
CHELSEA LINE UP TO FACE LIVERPOOL
This article was most recently revised and updated 8 months ago