Chelsea have a defensive injury crisis to contend with ahead of their Europa League semi-final against Eintracht Frankfurt.
Maurizio Sarri has admitted his side are “in trouble” after an Achilles injury sustained by Gary Cahill left just two centre-backs fit enough to travel to Germany.
EINTRACHT VS CHELSEA PRE MATCH INSIGHTS
- This is Eintracht Frankfurt’s first European semi-final since 1979/80 when they ultimately won the UEFA Cup after defeating Bayern Munich and Borussia Mönchengladbach in the semi-finals and finals respectively.
- This will be Chelsea’s ninth major European semi-final appearance in the Abramovich era (since 2003/04); no club has appeared in more since then (Barcelona also nine).
- These two sides have never previously faced off; Eintracht have lost at home to English opposition just once before in all European competitions – 0-1 vs Nottingham Forest in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1967/68.
- Chelsea have lost just one of their last 10 games against German sides in all European competitions (W5 D4), and have won their last two such games in Germany, both versus Schalke in 2013/14 and 2014/15.
- Eintracht have played 10 Europa League games at the Commerzbank-Arena, winning eight times and drawing twice; they haven’t trailed for a single minute in those games.
SEE ALSO: Highest Goal Scorers in Champions League – The Complete List
EINTRACHT VS CHELSEA LINEUPS
EINTRACHT (3-4-1-2) LINEUP
CHELSEA (4-3-3) LINEUP
This article was most recently revised and updated 3 years ago