The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) says there are no plans to cancel the March 27 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier between the Super Eagles and their Sierra Leoneans counterpart at the Stephen Keshi Stadium in Asaba, Delta State.
The virus, codenamed Covid-19 which has its birth home in Wuhan, China, has become a global epidemic, having affected 60 countries and infected more than 100,000 people, with over 3,000 death cases been reported.
In Europe, some matches will be played behind-closed-doors such as the UEFA Champions League while Serie A has been suspended till April 3rd, 2020 due to the spread in Italy and the need to curtail it.
With just two confirmed cases in Nigeria, there are growing fears that the sporting activities may be suspended in the country, most especially the AFCON qualifier against Sierra Leone.
Reacting to the this development, a source in the NFF told Goalballlive.com that the game against the Leone Star will still hold as planned.
He said preventive measures have been put in place to ensure that the players are well protected against contracting the virus.
“The coronavirus no doubt is affecting the flow of sports global as witnessed in some countries where sporting activities have been suspended,” the source told Goalballllive.com
“Be that as it may, I don't think that will affect or lead to the postponement of the forthcoming Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Sierra Leone in Asaba, Delta State.
”Yes, we have two confirmed cases of the virus in our country but so far so good, everything has been managed well by the health ministries in Nigeria.
“On our part, we are putting out solid measures to ensure that all the players are well protected against the virus. For now, the game will still hold as plan.”
This article was most recently revised and updated 3 years ago