Benjamin Pavard has been voted as the scorer of the World Cup 2018 Best Goal in Russia following an online poll where over three million FIFA.com users cast their votes.
FIFA announced the Russia 2018 World cup goal of the tournament on Wednesday through their official website and said that France right-back’s Stunning strike against Argentina beat the likes of Portugal captain, Cristiano Ronaldo, Argentine captain, Lionel Messi and a host of other players.
The 22-year-old’s effort won a public vote to be named the best of all 169 goals scored in the tournament.
Pavard is now the first European player to win the Goal of the Tournament award since its creation in 2006.
“The ball bounced up as it came to me. I didn’t even think about it. I just tried to get over it and keep it down.
“I was trying to hit it in the direction it came from, which is what the strikers always tell me. I didn’t think it over, and when it went in I just felt so happy,” Pavard told FIFA.com after France’s Round of 16 match against Argentina.
Below is a full list of contenders for the Goal of the Tournament award:
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal (third goal v Spain);
- Nacho, Spain (v Portugal);
- Philippe Coutinho, Brazil (v Switzerland);
- Dries Mertens, Belgium (v Panama);
- Juan Quintero, Colombia (v Japan);
- Luka Modric, Croatia (v Argentina);
- Ahmed Musa, Nigeria (second goal v Iceland);
- Lionel Messi, Argentina (v Nigeria);
- Toni Kroos, Germany (v Sweden);
- Jesse Lingard, England (v Panama);
- Ricardo Quaresma, Portugal (v Iran);
- Adnan Januzaj, Belgium (v England);
- Angel Di Maria, Argentina (v France);
- Benjamin Pavard, France (v Argentina);
- Nacer Chadli, Belgium (v Japan).
This article was most recently revised and updated 3 years ago