Nigeria’s Group D is going down to the wire, following the Super Eagles’ 2-0 win over Iceland today.
Croatia’s 3-0 victory over Argentina last night meant Zlatko Dalić’s side were guaranteed progression to the knock out stages as a result.
Here is a look at how the group stands at the moment
The remaining games see Argentina play Nigeria and already-qualified Croatia — who plan on resting key players for their next match — take on Iceland.
Here are some potential scenarios in the group:
- If Nigeria beat Argentina, they will progress regardless of what happens in the other match.
- If Argentina win and Iceland drop points, Sampaoli’s men will progress.
- If both Argentina and Iceland win, it will come down to goal difference and perhaps even goals scored, with Lionel Messi and co really needing to better their rivals’ result. So if Iceland wins 1-0, the Argentine side will need to win by at least two goals, and so on.
- If both matches end in draws, the Super Eagles will progress.
- In order for Iceland to progress, they need to win the Croats and hope the Eagles either draw or lose to Argentina by as many or fewer goals than they beat Croatia by.
This article was most recently revised and updated 2 weeks ago