The CIES Football Observatory has reckoned that Lionel Messi is now only the seventh most valuable player in the world currently and that the Barcelona captain is worth €171.2m, which is way below PSG striker Kylian Mbappe who tops the charts at €218.5m.
Barcelona’s other representative in the top 10 most valuable players is Philippe Coutinho who comes in just behind Messi at €157.0m.
The valuations are determined by the CIES’ ‘exclusive algorithm’ which considers a variety of attributes including age, results, position and league. See more details here.
Below is a list of the top 10 most valuable players, according to the CIES:
- Kylian Mbappe (PSG) – €218.5m
- Harry Kane (Tottenham) – €200.3m
- Neymar (PSG) – €197.1m
- Raheem Sterling (Manchester City) – €185.8m
- Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) – €184.3m
- Paulo Dybala (Juventus) – €171.9m
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – €171.2m
- Romelu Lukaku (Manchester United) – €162.0m
- Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona) – €157.0m
- Leroy Sane (Manchester City) – €156.1m
Are you a Messi fan? What do you make of his position on the list? You can put your thoughts in the comments below.
This article was most recently revised and updated 3 years ago