Barcelona have a clear need to bring in another left-back to offer competition to Jordi Alba.
The Spain international was seldom given a breather last season, as Barcelona just did not have another established left-back in the squad.
The summer transfer window is now open and Barca should make signing a left-back their top priority.
Here are five players Barcelona should consider to fill the left-back void:
- The dynamic full-back has impressed during his loan stint at Ipurua with Eibar.
- The speedy full-back likes to play short passes, is very strong in blocking the ball and regularly makes necessary defensive contributions.
- At 20 years of age, he still has a lot to learn by being an understudy to Jordi Alba.
- Alex Grimaldo plies his trade with Portuguese giants Benfica.
- A proficient passer of the ball, his dribbling and crossing skills are significant as well.
- The Portuguese side won’t let him go for cheap but if Barcelona pull the trigger on this transfer, they are sure to grab a high-quality left-back.
- The Valencia left-back would be more of a defensive-minded signing as he is stabler defensively than going forwards.
- True, he has a separate style of play than Alba, but perhaps that is a good thing.
- The Ajax player is an excellent passer of the ball, is great at interceptions and would prove to be a good backup to Alba.
- Although he has said that he will stay put at the club next season, advances from the best club in the world would be hard to resist.
- More comfortable as a left midfielder in a 3-4-3 formation, shouldn’t have difficulties adapting to a much deeper role.
- He is great at aerial duels, something Barca would like to have in their squad.
- He doesn’t have a commanding fee but if Barcelona are serious, it might prove to be more of a risky transfer than a decent one.
This article was most recently revised and updated 3 years ago