Liverpool Earns Vital Win Against Milan As Stubborn Porto Hold Atlético Goalless

Liverpool Earns Vital Win Against Milan As Stubborn Porto Hold Atlético Goalless

After last season's disappointing outing in the Champions League, Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool side have kickstarted yet another campaign in Europe in an electric style, beating old and familiar foe, AC Milan 3-2 in front of the Anfield supporters.

Milan's return to the Champions League for the first time in seven years was a trip to The Reds and it ended in a disappointing manner for them as they were the second-best side all through the game.

The Kop made a bright start to the game, taking the lead as early as nine minutes after Fikayo Tomori's own goal. Trent Alexander-Arnold was the architect, playing a clever one-two with Mo Salah before bursting into the box and seeing his shot deflect home off the England international.

Milan then launched waves of attack after another while Liverpool pushed for a second. Mike Maignan denied Salah twice, firstly a penalty when Andy Robertson's shot was handled, before superbly tipping a second effort around the post.

The Rossoneri equalised with their first shot on target through Ante Rebić who curled a well-placed finish under Alisson's arm.

And it took Brahim Diaz just 108 seconds to add to the tally at the second attempt.

Anfield was then stunned 108 seconds later when Brahim Diaz netted an equaliser at the second attempt.

The second half took similar style just like the first as Liverpool constantly dominated Stefano Pioli's men. It did not take long for the hosts to find an equaliser as Salah finally got his goal, narrowly staying onside to deftly convert from Divock Origi's pass to make it 2-2.

From then on, there was only going to be one winner, and after Robertson had seen a 20-yard drive saved, they deservedly took the lead again through a Jordan Henderson screamer. A corner was only partially cleared to the ‘Reds' captain, as he blasted into the bottom corner with a half-volley from 20-yards out.

In Spain, Atlético Madrid were held to a goalless draw by the Portuguese Dragons, Porto. It was the ninth meeting between the clubs in European completion.

Diego Simeone's men enjoyed the vociferous home chant right from the blast of the kick-off whistle and it nearly got them a quick lead sooner than expected.

Luis Suárez latched onto Thomas Lemar's superb through ball, but the Uruguayan could only guide a tame effort straight at Diogo Costa, who comfortably saved.

After the fast start, the game settled down into a pattern of the Rojiblancos dominating possession with Porto posing a threat on the counter-attack.

None of the two sides who came into the tie undefeated could get one over the other; this making the second forty-five more intense.

Porto hit the woodwork shortly after the break when Otávio's attempted cross drifted over the head of a back-peddling Jan Oblak, to bounce off the post.

And despite the treble substitution made by Simeone, bringing on Antoine Griezmann, Ángel Correa and Renan Lodi, Porto held on tight at the back and frustrated every attack from the Rojiblancos.

The game ended goalless, but not before Chancel Mbemba saw red for the visitors following a poor challenge.

Although the draw provides the sides with their first point of this season's competition, it's also thrown the group open to any of either AC Milan, Atlético Madrid and Porto considering the cut-throat competition for survival in the Group C

This article was most recently revised and updated 3 years ago