NPFL resumption date suffers another blow

NPFL resumption date suffers another blow
Credit: @NPFL_News Twitter

The NPFL has suffered another setback as announced by the league board on Wednesday morning that the earlier kick-off date of 9 September for the 2023/24 season has been shifted indefinitely.

According to the official statement issued on Wednesday, the league board cited the need to have members focus on the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), which holds in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State this weekend.

Davidson Owumi, the chief operating officer (COO) in the official statement, explained that the league body yielded to representations from various voices in its ranks in reaching the decision.

“We have everything set for the kickoff in Ibadan on Saturday, but following representations from multiple stakeholders and more cogent is the complex logistics involved in having our Chairman and Clubs leadership travel from Ibadan to Uyo”, Owumi told NPFL Media on Wednesday morning.

He said the postponement had been communicated to the clubs so they can stand down travel plans which have already been made and a new kickoff date would be communicated in a few days.

However, this is not the first time the commencement of the 2023/24 season has met setback; it was initially announced to start on 26 August 2023 before moving to 9 September, which has now suffered a similar fate.

Sources have suggested that contrary to the sole reason the league body gave in its statement, the letter sent to the clubs suggested there was more to this latest postponement.

The letter, also signed by Mr Owumi, cited exigencies connected to the league’s sponsorship as the reason for this latest postponement.

The letter read: “The Board of the Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL) wish to inform you that the scheduled kickoff for the 2023/24 season has been put on hold, and a new date will be communicated to you.

“This is due to the exigencies connected to the sponsorship of the League.

“Note, therefore that there will be no flag-off game this Saturday, September 9, as originally planned.

“This is for your information and necessary action, please.”

Concerned fans, pundits and stakeholders will now await the new date that will be communicated by the league management body.

This article was most recently revised and updated 10 months ago

Joseph is a freelance writer who spends most of his time writing engaging football contents. Based in Nigeria, Joseph is a die-hard Real Madrid fan with over 8 years experience in the sports betting space. He has covered football match previews, predictions, and news across leagues in Africa and Europe.