Man United vs Crystal Palace lineups, 3 predictions – Premier League

Man United vs Crystal Palace lineups, 3 predictions – Premier League
Credit: Icon Sport

Fresh from their EFL Cup third-round clash, Amrabat's Manchester United and Ayew's Crystal Palace are set to face off in a highly anticipated Premier League encounter at Old Trafford.

This Man United vs Crystal Palace match follows their recent meeting, where the Red Devils secured a resounding 3-0 victory over the Eagles.

As both teams prepare for this showdown, we'll delve into the lineups, recent form, and make three predictions for this exciting match.

Man United vs Crystal Palace: Recent form

September was a mixed bag for Manchester United, as they stumbled with three consecutive losses, conceding a total of 10 goals.

However, they quickly bounced back with two crucial wins against Burnley in the Premier League and Crystal Palace in the EFL Cup.

Erik ten Hag, United's manager, is optimistic about his team's progress and aims to maintain momentum in their upcoming home fixtures.

Currently sitting in ninth place in the Premier League, Man United is five points adrift from the top four.

They are determined to rebuild their strong home record after Brighton & Hove Albion snapped their 31-game unbeaten streak at Old Trafford two weeks ago.

In contrast, Crystal Palace began the season with promise, accumulating seven points from their first four Premier League matches and advancing in the EFL Cup.

However, their recent form has been less convincing, with a 3-1 loss to Aston Villa, a goalless draw against Fulham, and an EFL Cup exit at the hands of Manchester United.

Palace's focus now shifts solely to Premier League duties, with five of their next eight fixtures taking place away from Selhurst Park.

Manchester United's Alejandro Garnacho celebrates scoring their side's first goal of the game during the Carabao Cup
Credit: Icon sport

Man United vs Crystal Palace: Head-to-Head record

Historically, Manchester United has held the upper hand in their meetings with Crystal Palace.

The Red Devils have won 13 of their last 16 top-flight home encounters with the Eagles.

However, Palace, under the management of Roy Hodgson, has celebrated some memorable successes at Old Trafford in recent years, including a goalless draw in November 2018 and wins in August 2019 and November 2020.

While their last two visits ended in one-goal losses, they remain a team that can challenge United on their home turf.

Man United vs Crystal Palace: Team news

Both teams have their share of injury concerns and player availability issues.

For Manchester United, Antony and Jadon Sancho will be unavailable for different reasons, while Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Luke Shaw, Tyrell Malacia, Amad Diallo, and Kobbie Mainoo are sidelined due to injuries.

Scott McTominay, Christian Eriksen, Sergio Reguilon, and Lisandro Martinez are expected to return to the squad.

Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford, and Rasmus Hojlund are set to return to the starting lineup, with Sofyan Amrabat potentially moving into midfield.

For Crystal Palace, Dean Henderson, Michael Olise, Matheus Franca, Jefferson Lerma, and James Tomkins are injured.

Odsonne Edouard and Naouirou Ahamada are doubtful, while Jairo Riedewald picked up a knock.

Man United vs Crystal Palace: Predicted lineups

Manchester United and Crystal Palace players observe a moments silence in memory
Credit: Icon sport

Manchester United predicted starting lineup:

Goalkeeper: Onana

Defenders: Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Reguilon

Midfielders: Casemiro, Amrabat, Garnacho, Fernandes, Rashford

Stricker: Hojlund

Crystal Palace predicted starting lineup:

Goalkeeper: Johnstone

Defenders: Ward, Andersen, Guehi, Mitchell

Midfielders: Hughes, Doucoure, Ayew, Eze, Schlupp

Stricker: Mateta

Man United vs Crystal Palace: Three predictions

  1. Manchester United 2-0 Crystal Palace: The Red Devils are expected to capitalize on their recent momentum and secure a comfortable win. Palace's struggles in front of goal could prove costly.
  2. Under 3.5 Goals: Despite United's attacking prowess, we predict a relatively low-scoring affair, with the focus on defensive stability. Both teams will be cautious, aiming to avoid conceding early.
  3. Man United Victory: Manchester United is the favorite in this clash, with a 51.3% chance of winning at Old Trafford. Crystal Palace faces an uphill battle, rated at 21.3%, while a draw remains a live threat at 27.4%. United will likely come out on top, further solidifying their form.

This article was most recently revised and updated 9 months ago

Rababe Koussaimi, a 22-year-old journalist, is deeply passionate about the world of sports. She grew up in a footballing environment, supporting both Bayern Munich and Wydad Athletic Club. She began her English journalism career by hosting a podcast for the first English radio station in Morocco. Currently, the Moroccan journalist channels her enthusiasm into writing and conducting extensive research, creating insightful and engaging content for GoalBall Live readers.