It seems Victor Osimhen‘s transfer saga is far from over with the summer window still a long way ahead. The Napoli forward would not fancy a move to Chelsea or Liverpool. This is according to Salvatore Bagni, a former Napoli midfielder who currently works as a football director.
Salvatore says the two English Premier League clubs are not playing Champions League football next season, which automatically rules them out of the potential destinations Victor Osimhen could be considering this summer.
Salvatore Bagni adds that a move back to the French Ligue 1 is something Osimhen would also not consider given that he played for Lille before joining Napoli. While speaking to Tutto Napoli, Salvatore Bagni has also said that if not a move to Manchester United, the player would fancy a move to the Spanish side, Real Madrid.
Despite signing Joselu on a loan move from Espanyol, the departure of Karim Benzema who has since joined Al-Ittihad of Saudi Arabia means Los Blancos are scouting for another forward. Napoli Selling Osimhen would, therefore, prolong the transfer saga around a player looking to play at the highest level of European football.
Top clubs closely monitoring Osimhen's situation
— The Sun Football ⚽ (@TheSunFootball) June 26, 2023
Victor Osimhen has become a prime target for top European clubs for more than two seasons now. His recent success at Napoli meant the end of the 2022/23 Serie A season would have sparked another round of Osimhen transfer rumours. The 24-year-old Nigerian international has so far netted 17 goals in 26 games for his country.
Moreover, he scored 26 goals for Napoli last season, a tally that puts him alongside the best strikers in European last season. Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Chelsea are some of the top clubs that have contemplated signing the Napoli striker should he be out to ply his trade outside Italy.
With the pressure mounting on Napoli, especially the temptation to slap a huge transfer fee on their best forward, the next few weeks could be riveting in the player's career since joining Napoli in September 2020.
Osimhen still has two years on his Napoli contract
Napoli president, Aurelio de Laurentiis, announced earlier this month that Osimhen would only leave if a great offer is on the table. The club has now set a transfer valuation in the region of £180.
With two years remaining on Osimhen's contract, it means Napoli has the upper hand in a transfer bargain. Thus, a move would take a club willing to break the bank for a player that helped Napoli win the Scudetto after three decades.
Manchester United is said to be looking for a striker this season with Antony Martial likely to depart. Osimhen would fit the bill as a partner for Marcus Rashford upfront. And with English Premier League as the most likely destination should the player leave Napoli, participation in UCL next season means Liverpool and Chelsea are off the list.
Arsenal already have enough strikers with Man City contented with Haaland's delivery. Not much activity in the transfer window has been coming from the Red Devils though. However, having reached a contract agreement with Chelsea's Mason Mount, Man United are in the market for another striker. A chance to sign Osimhen is something the EPL club would fancy.
This article was most recently revised and updated 3 months ago