Luke Shaw’s own goal in the first half at Old Trafford was sufficient for Barcelona to not only score a crucial away goal but seal a narrow 1-0 victory over Manchester United in the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final clash.
The return leg will be played at the Camp Nou on Tuesday and in the previous round, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer saw his men overcome a 2-0 deficit to score three times against Paris Saint-Germain at the Parc des Princes.
SEE ALSO: Champions League Match Dates and Draw Calendar – 2018-19
Manchester United will be hoping to script yet another memorable comeback tale in this season’s UEFA Champions League when they play Barcelona at Camp Nou on Tuesday night for the second leg of their quarter-final. And, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has seen his list of absentees slim down.
BARCELONA VS MAN UNITED PRE MATCH INSIGHTS
- Of the 70 previous occasions, a side has won a Champions League knockout tie first leg away from home, just four have been eliminated (6%). However, two of those instances have been in this season’s competition, including once by Manchester United.
- Barcelona have never lost a home match against Man Utd in European competition (W2 D2), with their last such meeting finishing 0-0 in April 2008.
- Barcelona have progressed from 39 of their 41 European ties in which they won the first leg away from home – the exceptions were against FC Koln in the 1980-81 UEFA Cup, and against Metz in the 1984-85 Cup Winners’ Cup.
- Manchester United have progressed from one of their four previous European ties in which they lost the first leg at home, though it was in the last round against Paris Saint-Germain.
- Barcelona are unbeaten in 30 Champions League home games, the longest such run in the competition (W27 D3). They’ve also not conceded more than once in any of those 30 games (15 goals in total) since a 0-3 loss to Bayern Munich in the 2012-13 semi-finals.
SEE ALSO: Highest Goal Scorers in Champions League – The Complete List
BARCELONA VS MAN UNITED LINEUPS
BARCELONA (4-3-3) LINEUP
- ter Stegen
MAN UNITED (4-3-1-2) LINEUP
- de Gea
|2||Nélson Semedo||Alexis Sánchez||7|
|11||Ousmane Dembélé||Juan Mata||8|
|13||Jasper Cillessen||Romelu Lukaku||9|
|22||Arturo Vidal||Diogo Dalot||20|
|23||Samuel Umtiti||Sergio Romero||22|
|26||Carles Aleñá||Nemanja Matić||31|
|E. Valverde||O. Solskjær|
This article was most recently revised and updated 4 years ago