Bendel Insurance will take on RSB Berkane in the second round of the CAF Confederation Cup after making hard work of their second-leg tie against Aso Chlef in Algeria.
The Benin Arsenal are now one tie away from a place in the group stage of the Confederation Cup.
However, they have a mountain to climb as they come up against the 2022 CAF Confederation Cup winners.
The NPFL should kick off next month, but the two-legged tie against ASO Chlef has given Bendel Insurance competitive games, while the Morocco Botola Pro Inwi kicked off this weekend.
How they qualified for the second round
Bendel Insurance qualified to play in the Confederation Cup following their Federation Cup victory.
They reached the final after securing a 4-2 semi-final penalty win over Warri Wolves before beating Enugu Rangers 1-0. Aso Chlef was their latest victim.
RSB Berkane qualified for the Confederation Cup thanks to winning the 2023 Morocco Throne Cup.
The Moroccan side defeated FUS Rabat via penalties and subdued Raja Casablanca 1-0 in the final.
RSB Berkane drew a bye in the first round of the Confederation Cup.
Bendel Insurance – Strengths and weaknesses
Monday Odigie is a manager who is used to working with young players and has assembled a youthful side, but they have their strengths and weaknesses.
- Bendel Insurance is a youthful side. They have the energy and stamina to cope with pressure.
- They have a fantastic goalkeeper. On many occasions, Amas Obasogie has bailed Bendel Insurance out of trouble. He was the hero against Aso Chlef.
- The team enjoys massive support from the state government and the people of Benin.
- They have a massive dependence on the lethal abilities of Imade Osarenkhoe and Israel Sarki for goals. They struggle when deprived of service (Like against Aso Chlef).
- Youth and determination may not always be enough. There is a glaring lack of experience in the squad.
- The midfield is the weakest link in the team. It is usually a struggle to control the game when up against pressure.
RSB Berkane – Strengths and weaknesses
RSB Berkane will start their Botola Pro Inwi with a tie against Mouloudia Oudja on 27 August. They will have played two games before they take on Bendel Insurance.
- They have the experience of playing in this competition. They were champions in 2022.
- They know how to withstand pressure.
- Though they score as much as they concede, they are hard to break down. They conceded two or more goals in six league games last season. They kept ten clean sheets last season.
- They are a low-scoring side. The highest they've managed in a game is three goals scored in four league games last season.
- They concede as much as they score. They scored 30 league goals last season and conceded 29.
The draw for the NPFL is yet to take place, so Bendel Insurance does not know their league opponents.
RSB Berkane will play Mouloudia Oudja this weekend before they take on Ittihad Tanger next week.
Bendel Insurance will play the first leg on the weekend of 15 and 17 September in Benin, with the return leg between 29 September and October 1.
This article was most recently revised and updated 1 month ago