Jurgen Klopp’s men are targeting a place in the competition’s final for a second consecutive year while the hosts are making their first semi-final appearance in four years.
Both sides come into the tie on the back of encouraging displays in the quarter-finals.
SEE ALSO: Eden Hazard Transfer Fee: Blues Reduce Asking Price
BARCELONA VS LIVERPOOL PRE MATCH INSIGHTS
- Barcelona have won more Champions League games against English sides (27) than any side has won against clubs from a particular nation in the competition’s history.
- Liverpool have never lost in four previous away meetings with Barcelona in all competitions (W2 D2) – against no other side do they have a better unbeaten away record in all European competition (also four vs Porto).
- Liverpool are the only English side to win away at Barcelona in European competition, beating them 1-0 in the 1975-76 UEFA Cup and 2-1 in the 2006-07 Champions League.
- Barcelona have only progressed from one of their four European Cup/Champions league semi-finals against English opposition, having been knocked out in 1974-75 by Leeds United, 2007-08 by Man Utd and 2011-12 by Chelsea. Their only such progression came in 2008-09 against Chelsea, before beating Man Utd in the final in Rome.
- This is Liverpool’s 11th appearance in the European Cup/Champions League semi-finals – they’ve progressed from eight of their previous 10, failing only in 1964-65 (vs Inter) and 2007-08 (vs Chelsea).
LIVERPOOL (4-3-3) LINEUP
- van Dijk
- Dejan Lovren
- Roberto Firmino
- Jordan Henderson
- Simon Mignolet
- Xherdan Shaqiri
- Divock Origi
- Trent Alexander-Arnold
This article was most recently revised and updated 3 years ago