Liverpool’s sole aim when they take on Everton will be to move back to the top of the Premier League table with a win at Goodison Park this afternoon.
The Reds fell to a second position after Manchester City moved two points clear with a win at Bournemouth on Saturday so the pressure is back on Liverpool to respond with a positive result against their Merseyside rivals.
SEE ALSO: Klopp Reveals His Instructions to Liverpool Against Everton
Liverpool needed a dramatic last gasp Divock Origi goal to win the reverse fixture 1-0 at Anfield back in December so Everton will be desperate to get revenge for that painful defeat on home soil today.
The Toffees now sit 10th in the table after defeating Cardiff City 3-0 on Tuesday night and they can move up to 9th on goal difference from West Ham with a win over Liverpool in the Merseyside Derby.
Liverpool forward Roberto Firmino is likely to return after missing the win over Watford in midweek owing to a minor ankle injury that he sustained against Mancheter United.
Everton welcome Kurt Zouma back into the squad after he missed the win over Cardiff due to suspension but Leighton Baines is out with a back injury.
Everton vs Liverpool Pre Match INSIGHTS
- This will be the 200th top-flight meeting between Everton and Liverpool, becoming only the second fixture to have been played that many times in the top English league after Aston Villa vs Everton (202).
- Everton are winless in their last 18 encounters with Liverpool in all competitions (D9 L9), their longest ever such streak against their Merseyside rivals.
- Despite remaining unbeaten in their last 16 league meetings with Everton, Liverpool are looking to do the double over the Toffees for just the third time in the last eight seasons (also in 2011-12 and 2016-17).
- Premier League meetings between Everton and Liverpool have produced more red cards than any other fixture in the history of the competition (21).
- Liverpool have scored more 90th-minute winning goals in Premier League games against Everton than any side has against another in the competition (5).
SEE ALSO: Liverpool Advise La Liga duo to forget about signing Mohamed Salah
Everton vs Liverpool Line Ups
Everton Line up (4-2-3-1)
Liverpool Line Up (4-3-3)
This article was most recently revised and updated 4 years ago