In the world of South African football, few clashes generate as much excitement and anticipation as the encounter between two powerhouse teams: Pirates vs. Sundowns.
On September 20th, 2023, at the electrifying Orlando Stadium in Johannesburg, fans of the beautiful game were treated to a spectacle as Orlando Pirates vs Sundowns squared off in a PSL showdown for the ages.
This highly anticipated fixture promised nothing short of a footballing spectacle, with both teams vying for supremacy and the coveted points that could shape their respective seasons.
As the stadium buzzed with energy and the crowd roared with anticipation, Pirates vs Sundowns took center stage, ready to deliver a match that would be etched into the annals of South African football history.
Pirates vs Sundowns: Ribeiro Costa shines
The match got off to an electric start, with the Brazilian midfielder, L. Ribeiro Costa, making his presence felt early on.
In the 12th minute, Costa coolly converted a penalty, putting Mamelodi Sundowns in the lead.
This goal marked his fifth of the season, catapulting him to the top of the league's scoring charts.
Costa's clinical finishing has been instrumental in Sundowns' impressive campaign so far, and his form has the potential to be a game-changer as the season unfolds.
Sundowns' ascendancy in the league
With the win against Orlando Pirates, Mamelodi Sundowns extended their dominance in the PSL this season.
They currently sit atop the league table with 21 points from just seven games, a testament to their consistency and quality.
The Brazilians' performances have been characterized by their attacking prowess and strong defense, making them a formidable force that will be hard to displace from the top spot.
Orlando Pirates' struggles
In contrast to Mamelodi Sundowns' impressive run, Orlando Pirates find themselves in a less favorable position.
The Buccaneers are currently languishing in the 11th spot with just 7 points from 5 games.
Their performance in the match against Sundowns highlighted areas that require improvement, particularly in attack.
Pirates will need to regroup and find their rhythm if they hope to climb the league table and challenge for the title.
Pirates vs Sundowns: Match statistics
A closer look at the match statistics provides insight into the dynamics of the game:
- Shots: Pirates attempted 6 shots compared to Sundowns' 4, indicating the Buccaneers' attempts to create scoring opportunities.
- Shots on Target: Sundowns were clinical, with 4 of their 4 shots on target, while Pirates managed only 1 shot on target.
- Possession: Sundowns held a slight edge in possession, with 52% compared to Pirates' 48%.
- Passing: The passing statistics showed a relatively even contest, with Sundowns completing 412 passes to Pirates' 380. Sundowns also had a slightly higher pass accuracy of 80% compared to Pirates' 76%.
- Fouls and Cards: The match was physically contested, with 7 fouls for Pirates and a staggering 23 fouls for Sundowns. Both teams received yellow cards, but no player saw red.
- Offsides and Corners: Sundowns had more offsides (5) compared to Pirates (6), while Pirates earned a single corner, with none for Sundowns.
Orlando Pirates vs Sundowns lineups
Orlando Pirates 4-2-3-1
GK: S. Chaine
Defenders: . Shandu, N. Sibisi, T. Xoki, P. Mako
Midfielders: Monare, P. Maswanganyi, M. Saleng, S. Baloni, R. Mofokeng
Stricker: Z. Lepasa
Mamelido Sundowns: 4-3-3
Gk: R. Williams
Defenders: Mudau, R. Coetzee, M. Mvala, A. Boutouil
Midfielders: M. Allende, T. Mokoena, S. Mbule
Forwards: T. Zwane, L. Ribeiro Costa, P. Shalulile
This article was most recently revised and updated 3 weeks ago