Real Madrid play host to Villarreal knowing that a win would ensure Primera football next season in Vila-real.
A loss would mean that – depending on the result of the Valladolid-Athletic Club match which follows Real's – Los Blancos might be five points up with two matches to play, or only two.
A draw would give us a potentially valuable point, so is not to be sneezed at.
For Madrid, the match doesn’t mean anything much as they are pretty much guaranteed to end up in third place.
But after recent poor play, the Real has got to want to respond to coach Zidane’s criticisms – and some of the players are in all likelihood playing for a spot in next year’s side, both in this match and the two that follow.
REAL MADRID VS VILLARREAL PRE MATCH INSIGHTS
- Villarreal have won two of their last seven LaLiga games against Real Madrid (D3 L2), as many as in their previous 30 games against them in the competition (W2 D9 L19).
- Villarreal have only won one of their 18 games played against Real Madrid at Santiago Bernabeu (D5 L12), but this win was in their most recent game there (0-1 in January 2018).
- Villarreal have lost 21 games against Real Madrid in LaLiga, more than against any other opponent (alongside Barcelona).
- Real Madrid have collected 65 points in LaLiga this season after 35 games, their lowest figure at this stage since the 2001/02 season (also 65).
- Villarreal have won three of their last four LaLiga games (D1), as many as in their previous 18 games in the competition (W3 D7 L8).
Real Madrid vs Villarreal kicks off at 15:15 (GMT +1) on 5 May 2019.
REAL MADRID VS VILLARREAL LINEUPS
REAL MADRID (4-3-3) LINEUP
VILLARREAL (4-2-3-1) LINEUP
This article was most recently revised and updated 3 years ago