The evening fixture promises to be a hard-fought affair with both sides sitting second and third on the league table midway through the current campaign.
Set and ready for the next challenge, Spartans! 👊
— SuperSport United FC (@SuperSportFC) December 21, 2023
SuperSport United vs Orlando Pirates match preview
After 14 matches played, Gavin Hunt's men head into the clash higher up the log with only one point separating them from the visitors.
SuperSport United were in continental action in midweek as the Nigerian Etiosa Ighodaro netted two minutes from time to seal a dramatic 2-1 victory over Libyan side Al-Hilal Benghazi in their CAF Confederation Cup fourth group game.
The win ensured that Hunt's men picked up two successive victories after seeing off the challenge of Moroka Swallows in their last PSL encounter to banish a run of five straight defeats across all competitions.
SuperSport United will have to be at their best as they face off against Jose Riveiro's side currently in a rich vein of form.
Orlando Pirates have collected 16 points from five wins and a draw in their last six league games, a run that has seen them make a steady climb on the log.
A win on Saturday will see the Buccaneers continue what has been a consistent league run-in which could ultimately mean an end to the year in second spot.
SuperSport United vs Orlando Pirates probable lineups
SuperSport United will be without former Bucs defender Thulani Hlatshwayo who has only played once in the club's four matches this month. Hunt is expected to employ a 4-4-2 formation with Ighodaro and Risen Albert leading the lines.
Probable lineups for SuperSport United: Arubi, Mfolozi, Dopolo, Hamza, Pfumbidzai, Selaelo, Nange, Donn, Campbell, Ighodaro, Albert.
Pirates will be without key player Patrick Maswanganyi who is suspended for this match after accumulating four yellow cards this season.
However, coach Riveiro could welcome back attacking midfielder Vincent Pule who was not part of the match-day squad in their 2-1 win over Golden Arrows. While Katlego Otladisa and Evidence Makgopa could likely make the starting lineup after injury scare in that game as well.
Probable lineups for Orlando Pirates: Buthelezi, Hotto, Ndah, Sibisi, Makaringe, Ndlondlo, Timm, Otladisa, Kimvuidi, Lepasa, Makgopa.
SuperSport United vs Orlando Pirates confirmed lineups
*Lineups will be automatically updated shortly after they're released
SuperSport United vs Orlando Pirates stats
- Ahead of kick-off, SuperSport United are second on the table with 26 points, while Orlando Pirates are third with 25 points.
- Both teams will be playing their 15th match of the league season.
- SuperSport United and Pirates have met 20 times since 2015 with the former recording eight victories, six defeats, and six draws between them.
- Tapelo Xoki’s second-half strike separated the two teams in their most recent clash to hand Orlando Pirates a crucial 1-0 victory after a goalless affair earlier in the season.
- Encounters between the Buccaneers and Matsatsantsa have often been exciting, with 24 goals scored in the last 10 league encounters.
- Both teams have scored in five of their last 10 skirmishes, with Pirates winning more (five times) while playing two draws in that stretch.
Where to watch SuperSport United vs Orlando Pirates live
This match will be broadcast live on Supersport PSL channel and SABC 1. Fans can also stay in touch with the action by keeping an eye on live updates posted across both teams' handles on X.
Kick-off is scheduled for 17:45 SAST on Saturday, at the New Peter Mokaba Stadium.
This article was most recently revised and updated 2 months ago