Italian journalist and transfer expert Fabrizio Romano has issued the latest update on a potential Victor Osimhen transfer amid multiple rumours and reports over the past few days.
As the news surrounding the player's future at Napoli intensifies, a recent report claimed a deal in principle had been agreed with Liverpool, which would see the forward move to Anfield in 2024.
🚨 Naples-based journalist Valter De Maggio has told Televomero via Arena Napoli that Victor Osimhen and Liverpool have reached an agreement on personal terms for a transfer in 2024.
This is, according to the journalist, the main reason recent contractual talks between Osimhen… pic.twitter.com/QmzxxOVgfy
— DaveOCKOP (@DaveOCKOP) October 21, 2023
Despite the options at his disposal, Jurgen Klopp is supposedly in search of a new forward and it was claimed that Osimhen was identified as the best option to fill that void, with the German manager even sending scouts to watch the Super Eagles star on international duty, as per reports.
Fabrizio Romano has now come out to issue the latest on the 24-year-old's future, stating that there is nothing agreed on a Victor Osimhen transfer to Liverpool as it stands.
Victor Osimhen transfer: Fabrizio Romano clears the air in latest update
Speaking in his latest YouTube video, Romano shared the latest development known to him, regarding Liverpool and Osimhen.
“Some media is reporting that Victor Osimhen already agreed contract terms with Liverpool,” Romano said. “Guys from what I’m told, Victor Osimhen hasn’t agreed anything with any club – not even with Napoli.
“There’s no agreement on the contract extension. Napoli made a really important proposal to Osimhen, in terms of contract, very important salary, the biggest in Napoli history is on the table for Osimhen. But he has not decided and he has not agreed anything with any club.
“So Osimhen will take his time. Reports of an agreement with Liverpool are not true. For sure, Liverpool and many other clubs are keeping an eye on the situation of many strikers. But at the moment for Osimhen, nothing is agreed and nothing is decided.”
Osimhen and Napoli transfer saga – What are the likely scenarios?
It remains to be seen how the Victor Osimhen transfer saga with Napoli will end but it looks more and more likely that the Nigerian will leave the Serie A giants.
Many top sides including Chelsea, Liverpool, PSG and Real Madrid have all been strongly linked with the forward but it remains to be seen where exactly he would end up.
Recent reports claimed Chelsea are even willing to tempt Napoli's resolve to keep their starman with an audacious January bid for the 24-year-old. The Blues have somewhat struggled to score goals and a player like Osimhen would be expected to come in, thrive and put all their goal-scoring problems to an end.
However, it is unlikely Osimhen or Napoli would agree a big move in January, especially as the forward will be representing Nigeria at AFCON 2023. Such a deal in the summer of 2024 would be rather interesting from a Napoli perspective though.
Though very unlikely, there is also a possibility that Osimhen could yet have a change of heart and go on to sign a new contract with the Italian side.
Osimhen's contract with the Serie A champions runs until the summer of 2025, and Napoli remain adamant that they won't let their star forward go for anything less than £140 million.
Osimhen has scored six goals in ten total appearances for Napoli across all competitions so far this season. However, his quest to better his tally from last season has suffered a hit, with the player currently on the sidelines, after picking up an injury while on international duty with the Super Eagles.
This article was most recently revised and updated 2 months ago