Hardly heard of: female football clubs in Nigeria?! I bet many didn’t know female football clubs do exist in Nigeria.
Well, they do, and I’m going to be reeling out the list of female football clubs in Nigeria in this post.
Of course, the most popular sport in Nigeria remains football.
But Female Football in Nigeria started in 1978 with Nigeria Female Football Organizing Association (NIFFOA) which was later renamed in 1979 to Nigeria Female Football Proprietors Association (NIFFPA).
When NIFFPA came into being, other clubs like Jegede Babes, Larry Angels, Kakanfo Babes, Ufuoma Babes, and the rest where formed.
Nigeria Football Association (NFA as it was then known) in 1990 organized the first championship which the Nigeria female league was later restructured and renamed to be Premier League that involves twelve teams playing in a single division.
The Nigeria female football league (the top division league, that is) always followed groups pattern and a super six tourney at the end of the season.
The top three teams from each group form the super six leagues at the end of the regular season to decide the overall winner of the league but this was later stopped.
The Elite league created from the top six teams in each group was established during the 2012/2013 season and the Elite league was known as Nigeria Women Premier League.
While the remaining teams joined other clubs to form a lower division league to make room for the promotion and relegation format.
The highest division for female football in Nigeria is the Nigeria Women Premier League. The Nigeria Women Pro –League and the Women Amateur Football Association League are on the second and third tier, respectively, on the pyramid.
There is a separate management team for the female league but all football administration in Nigeria is run by the Nigeria Football Federation.
Amaju Pinnick is the current President of the NFF with headquarters in Abuja.
Pelican stars F.C (Calabar) are one of the clubs that participated in the Nigeria women football league since inception.
They were champions for seven years, i.e from 1997 to 2002 and later in 2005.
No Club has beaten that record yet.
Rivers Angels F.C of Port-Harcourt were champions for five years. That is in 1994 and then in 2010, 2014, 2015, and 2016. They are the second-best.
Ufuoma Babes of Warri were also champions for four years. In 1992, 1993, and then again in 1995 and 1996.
Delta Queens F.C of Asaba also reigned as champions for four years. In the years 2003, 2008, 2009 and 2011.
So much for their history!
Now let’s look at the list of female football clubs in Nigeria:
Female Football Clubs in Nigeria: The List
Nigeria Women Premier League teams
- Rivers Angels F.C. = Rivers State
- Confluence Queens F.C. = Kogi State
- Bayelsa Queens F.C. = Bayelsa State
- Delta Queens F.C. = Delta State
- Pelican Stars F.C. = Calabar, Cross-River State
- Sunshine Queens F.C. = Ondo State
- Osun Babes F.C. = Osun State
- COD United Ladies F.C. = Lagos State
- Tokas Queens F.C. = Lagos State
- Abia Angels F.C. = Abia State
- Nasarawa Amazons F.C. = Nasarawa State
- F.C. Robo Queens = Lagos State
- Martin White Doves F.C. = Edo State
- Adamawa Queens F.C. = Adamawa State
- Taraba Queens F.C. = Taraba State
- Edo Queens F.C. = Edo State
- Ibom Angels F.C. = Akwa Ibom State
- Capital City Doves F.C. = Abuja
Nigeria Women Pro-league teams
- Beautiful Tour Angels = Abuja
- State House Queens = Abuja
- Sa'adatu Kolo Amazons F.C. = Minna
- Invincible Angels = Benue State
- Cerezo Queens = Kwara State
- Heartland Queens = Imo State
- Police Machine
- Royaltoms Queens
Women Amateur Football Association teams
- Adex Queens = Ikotun, Lagos State
- Jagunmolu Queens = Idiroko, Ogun State
- Yaba Queens = Yaba, Lagos State
- Oluyole Flamming Queens = Ibadan, Oyo State
- FC Phoenix = Apapa, Iganmu, Lagos State
- Nana Babes = Ore, Ondo State
Nigerian Women's Cup participating teams
- Alberto Queens
- Osun Queens = Osun State
- Rising Queens = Ondo State
- Sure Babes
- Gift of Life Queens
- Oguche Babes = Lokoja, Kogi State
- Moje Queens
- Katsina Queens= Katsina State
- FCT Queens = Abuja
- Tewo Babes = Ibadan
- Jegede Babes
- Ufuoma Babes
Do you know any other female football club? Add it to this list of female football clubs in Nigeria via the comment box.
This article was most recently revised and updated 1 year ago